About British Journal of Sports Medicine
Aims and Scope
British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM) is a multi-media information portal that provides original research, reviews and debate relating to clinically-relevant aspects of sport and exercise medicine, including physiotherapy, physical therapy and rehabilitation. We contribute to innovation (research), education (teaching and learning) and knowledge translation (implementing research into practice and policy). We use web, print, video and audio material to serve the international community of clinicians who serve active people.
BJSM, published semi-monthly, is a membership benefit for thirteen leading international sports medicine and physiotherapy organisations who have over 10,000 members. For more information please refer to the affiliations section below.
BJSM Injury Prevention and Health Protection
BJSM Injury Prevention and Health Protection (IPHP) are regular themed issues of the journal publishing research and educational articles relevant to protecting the health of professional and amateur athletes. These issues are supported by the International Olympic Committee.
|Acceptance rate||21% for original research submitted in 2013|
|Time from submission to first decision||23 days|
|Time from acceptance to publication||17 days (online)
3 months (print)
|Frequency||22 issues per year (18 BJSM, 4 IPHP)|
5-year Impact factor: 4.340 *2013 Journal Citation Reports® Science Edition (Thomson Reuters, 2014)
|Indexed by||Index Medicus (Medline), ISI Current Contents (Web of Science), Excerpta Medica (Embase)|
|ISSN of BJSM||0306-3674|
|ISSN of BJSM Online||1473-0480|
For all contact information please refer to the Contact Us page.
Please refer to the Instructions for Authors
Rights and Permissions
Members of the following organisations receive BJSM in print and/or online as a benefit of membership; many endorse BJSM as their official journal.
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM)
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports and Exercise Medicine (ACPSEM)
- Australasian College of Sports Physicians (ACSP)
- British Association for Sports and Exercise Medicine (BASEM)
- Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine (CASEM)
- European College of Sports and Exercise Physicians (ECOSEP)
- Fédération Internationale de Médicine de Sport (FIMS)
- The Norwegian Association of Sports Medicine and Physical Activity (NIMF)
- The Norwegian Sports Physiotherapy Association (FFI)
- Society of Sports Therapists (SST)
- South African Sports Medicine Association (SASMA)
- Sports Doctors Australia (SDrA)
- Sports Medicine Australia (SMA)
- Swedish Society of Exercise and Sports Medicine (SFAIM)
- Swiss Sport Physiotherapy Association (SSPA)
- Vereniging voor Sportgeneeskunde (VSG)
The BMJ Publishing Group is a founding member of COPE (the Committee on Publication Ethics), which provides a forum for publishers and Editors of scientific journals to discuss issues relating to the integrity of the work submitted to or published in their journals.
The EQUATOR Network is an international initiative that seeks to improve the value of medical research literature by promoting accurate, transparent reporting of research studies. The BMJ Group is a sponsor of its activities.
This 2013 issue is free to all users to allow everyone the opportunity to see the full scope and typical content of BJSM.
View free sample issue >>
Don't forget to sign up for content alerts so you keep up to date with all the articles as they are published.