About British Journal of Sports Medicine
Aims and Scope
British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM) is a multi-media portal that provides original research, reviews and debate relating to clinically-relevant aspects of sport and exercise medicine, including physiotherapy, physical therapy and rehabilitation. We contribute to innovation (research), education (teaching and learning) and knowledge translation (implementing research into practice and policy). Our web, print, video and audio material, combined with active social media, serves the international community of clinicians who treat active people.
BJSM, published semi-monthly and co-owned with the British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine, is a membership benefit for eighteen leading international sports medicine and physiotherapy organisations who have over 10,000 members. For more information please refer to the affiliations section below.
Injury Prevention and Health Protection
Injury Prevention and Health Protection (IPHP) are regular themed issues of the journal publishing research and educational articles relevant to protecting the health of professional and amateur athletes. These issues are supported by the International Olympic Committee.
|Acceptance rate||23% for original research submitted in 2014|
|Time from submission to first decision||16 days|
|Time from acceptance to publication||14 days (online)
6 months (print)
|Frequency||24 issues in 2015 (20 BJSM, 4 IPHP)|
|Indexed by||Index Medicus (Medline), ISI Current Contents (Web of Science), Excerpta Medica (Embase)|
|ISSN of BJSM||0306-3674|
|ISSN of BJSM Online||1473-0480|
For all contact information please refer to the Contact Us page.
Please refer to the Instructions for Authors
Rights and Permissions
Members of the following eighteen organisations receive BJSM in print and/or online as a benefit of membership; many endorse BJSM as their official journal.
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM)
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports and Exercise Medicine (ACPSEM)
- Australasian College of Sports Physicians (ACSP)
- British Association for Sports and Exercise Medicine (BASEM)
- Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine (CASEM)
- European College of Sports and Exercise Physicians (ECOSEP)
- Fédération Internationale de Médicine de Sport (FIMS)
- The Norwegian Association of Sports Medicine and Physical Activity (NIMF)
- The Norwegian Sports Physiotherapy Association (FFI)
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland: Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Society of Sports Therapists (SST)
- South African Sports Medicine Association (SASMA)
- Sports Doctors Australia (SDrA)
- Sports Medicine Australia (SMA)
- Sports Physiotherapy New Zealand (SPNZ)
- Swedish Society of Exercise and Sports Medicine (SFAIM)
- Swiss Sport Physiotherapy Association (SSPA)
- Vereniging voor Sportgeneeskunde (VSG)
The BMJ Publishing Group is a founding member of COPE (the Committee on Publication Ethics), which provides a forum for publishers and Editors of scientific journals to discuss issues relating to the integrity of the work submitted to or published in their journals.
The EQUATOR Network is an international initiative that seeks to improve the value of medical research literature by promoting accurate, transparent reporting of research studies. The BMJ Group is a sponsor of its activities.
This 2014 issue is free to all users to allow everyone the opportunity to see the full scope and typical content of BJSM.
View free sample issue >>
Don't forget to sign up for content alerts so you keep up to date with all the articles as they are published.