Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Second International Symposium on Concussion in Sport

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.


A. Collie1,2*, M. Makdissi1, K. Bennell1, P. McCrory1,3.1Centre for Health, Exercise & Sports Medicine, University of Melbourne, Australia; 2CogState Ltd, Melbourne, Australia; 3 Brain Research Institute, Austin Hospital, Melbourne, Australia

Background: Clinical evaluation of concussed athletes often requires the athlete to subjectively recall details of their injury. Further, many studies of concussion have used self-reported concussion signs and symptoms to classify groups of athletes (eg, by number of previous concussions, presence of LOC or PTA). However, the accuracy of self-reported concussion history has been questioned. This study examined the recall of concussion signs and symptoms among recently injured athletes (ie, within the past 7 days) and healthy athletes who had not been concussed for at least 1 month.

Method: During 2002 and 2003, a computerised concussion history questionnaire was administered pre-season to 468 healthy, non-injured male Australian rules (AR) footballers, using the CogSport™ software. A similar questionnaire was administered to 51 male AR footballers within 7 days of concussive injuries occurring during the season. The questionnaire required athletes to recall details of their most recent concussion, including whether they experienced loss of consciousness (LOC), post-traumatic amnesia (PTA) and the type and number of symptoms experienced at the time of injury.

Results: The non-injured (22.6±3.9yrs) and concussed (22.6±3.6yrs) groups were of equivalent age and educational attainment. Of the non-injured footballers tested at baseline, 186 (39.7%) reported never being concussed. The remaining 282 (60.3%) reported 2.3±1.5 (range 1–8) prior concussions, with the majority (84.5%) occurring over 6mths ago. Only 92.6% of these athletes reported experiencing symptoms at their last concussion, with the most commonly reported symptoms being headache (85.1%), dizziness (68.4%), blurred vision (55.3%), drowsiness (45.0%) and confusion (41.1%). LOC was reported by 40.1% and PTA by 37.6% of athletes. Among …

View Full Text