Article Text

Download PDFPDF

6 Improved daily movement patterns in an accelerometer-assessed 8-weeks exercise project in older adults
  1. Manne Godhe1,
  2. Örjan Ekblom1,
  3. Maria Ekblom1,2,
  4. Marjan Pontén1,
  5. MD Eva Andersson1,2
  1. 1The Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences, Sweden
  2. 2The Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden


Background Many beneficial health outcomes for elderly are associated with sedentary (SED) and physical activity behavior (PA). However, research is scarce regarding how elderly-interventions can improve various SED- and PA-behavior.

Purpose The aim with this study was to determine if eight-weeks of regular supervised exercise would have any effect on movement-patterns in elderly. For comparison, a control group, not receiving supervised exercise, performed similar pre- and end-tests intervals. Reliability of elderly accelerometer measures, in two separate pre-tests was also investigated.

Methods Seventy-eight elderly exercised (65–91 years) and 43 participated in a control group (65–88 years). The exercise group had combined aerobic and strength-training, twice/w à 1 hour. Accelerometer assessments for the exercise group were performed three times; Pre-1 and Pre-2 and one test in the last week of the 8-week-exercise-period. The controls made one pre-test and one end-test at corresponding spring time intervals, without receiving any supervised physical activity.

Results The exercise-group significantly improved from Pre-1 to End-test moderate-to-vigorous-PA-intensity (MVPA +41 min/week=+0.8% of-total-daily-wear-time), light-intensity (LPA +228 min/w=+3.9%), total-SED-time (−254 min/w=−4.7%) and SED-bouts-à−10 min (−320 min/w=−5.7%). The controls showed no significant improvements from pre-1-to-End-tests, except for LPA (+2.3%) and total-SED-time (and −2.7%). Total-daily-counts in the End-test increased for controls (+6,7%) but significantly more for the exercise group (+17,3%). Between the exercise groups´ two pre-tests, no significant difference was observed, except for total-PA (+4.6%) and SED-total (−2.4%).

Conclusion Elderly participating in supervised exercise increase PA- and decrease SED-time, which is of importance because it is linked with improved health for elderly, longevity and potent socioeconomic gains.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.