Table 1

Risk factors for injury (adjusted for cluster)

Risk factorPercentage of missing data*Athlete exposure hoursNumber of injuriesNumber of injuries/1000 player-hours95% CIIRR 95% CI
Height: for each age group, the lowest 25th percentile of self-reported heights vs the remaining 75% of players (PSQ)
 ≥25th percentile20.6%16431311.81.6 to 3.01.0
 ≤25th percentile578591.50.9 to 2.50.8 (0.4 to 1.5)
Weight: for each age group, the lowest 25th percentile of self-reported weights vs the remaining 75% of players. (PSQ)
 ≥25th percentile16.3%17613321.81.2 to 2.61.0
 ≤25th percentile5842122.01.1 to 3.81.1 (0.6 to 2.0)
Menarche: in PeeWee only, players who had begun to menstruate vs players who had not begun to menstruate. (Self-reported on the PSQ.)
 Pre-Menarche2.7%270531.10.4 to 2.81.0
 Post-Menarche43224.60.4 to 53.24.1 (1.0 to 16.8)
Physical activity: for each age group, the lowest 25th percentile of self-reported PA levels in the week prior completing to the PSQ vs the remaining 75% of players. (Self-reported physical activity levels on the PSQ—reported in hours in any activity including gym class at school.)
 ≥25th percentile12.6%17393321.81.1 to 2.91.0
 ≤25th percentile7095101.40.6 to 2.80.7 (0.3 to 1.6)
Position of play: position of play as self reported on the PSQ at preseason
 Defence5.8%8198141.70.8 to 3.21.0
 Forward15059261.71.1 to 2.71.0 (0.5 to 2.0)
 Goalie302282.61.4 to 4.81.5 (0.6 to 3.8)
Ice hockey experience: atom: ≥3 years ice hockey experience vs <2 years experience. PeeWee: ≥5  vs <4 years experience. Bantam: ≥7  vs <6 years experience. Midget: ≥9 years vs those with <8 years experience. (Self reported on the PSQ.)
 High ice hockey experience0.0%11664211.81.1 to 2.81.0
 Low ice hockey experience16080321.91.1 to 3.41.1 (0.5 to 2.3)
Previous injury: all players self-reporting ≥1 previous injury (defined as ‘any injury in the previous year that lead to medical attention or time loss from sport’) on the PSQ vs those reporting no previous injury
 No previous injury5.8%19 415231.10.8 to 1.71.0
 Yes previous injury6851223.22.0 to 4.92.7 (1.7 to 4.3)
Relative age: for Atom, PeeWee and Bantam: players in their first year of eligibility versus second year of eligibility. For Midget only: players in their first year of eligibility versus players in their second or third year of eligibility
 Relative age—2nd/3rd year5.8%10 205191.81.2 to 2.91.0
 Relative age—1st year16 187301.81.1 to 2.91.0 (0.5 to 1.6)
Session type: injuries occurring in practices vs games as reported by the team therapist on the injury report form
 Practice0.0%11 319131.10.6 to 2.01.0
 Game16 425392.31.7 to 3.22.1 (1.1 to 4.2)
  • Variables dichotomised by 25% of the population who were hypothesised by the authors to be at increased risk of injury over the remaining 75% of the population (ie,: low weight, height, physical activity level and ice hockey experience).

  • *Number of players with data/total players in the study (324).

  • PSQ, Preseason Questionnaire.